Friday, September 25, 2015

Pocket Letter Pals




PLP's!
That's my newest adventure on this paper journey. :)
  
Recently I discovered Janette Lane's Pocket Letters and I was intrigued. She inspired this style of pen pal writing in late January of this year and in March she launched the Pocket Letter Pals website. Under the umbrella of the PLP's you can join groups based on your interest and exchange a pocket letter with pen pals here in the US or around the globe. She designed a format for pocket letters with a few basic suggestions when sending one out to a pal and you can check out more info on Janette's blog. This is my first pocket letter and it went to my pal, Renee, in New Jersey. :)

A few photos and an explanation of the different pockets.

The left pocket expresses a greeting to my pal with a letter tucked in the back. 
In this particular group swap-Anything and Everything-we were asked to create a pocket letter with different colors and themes. My letter for Renee reflects her favorite things-flowers, lace, washi tape, brads and includes the items which are also to be included such as a packet of tea, letter to your pal, an about me pocket, quote, and a mail tag with questions for my pal so we can get to know each other better. 

My story is included in a note about me which I tucked inside the altered 7 Gypsies small file folder. The quote by Richard Dumb is from a stamp set by My Favorite Things and the pocket on the right has the mail tag with 5 ?'s on the back with I spelled out "choose 3" with alpha stickers. 

The third row of pockets holds a pack of brads, a tea bag (on the back) and a stamped inspiration with a butterfly theme. 


Janette encourages sending goodies that range from stickers, ephemera, die cuts, washi tape, tea, etc.....so the back of my pockets are chock full and you can see that I included a few items on the front as well. After all, Renee is my first pocket letter pal and that makes her special. :)


I included flowers (which she can color to match any project), vintage buttons, wood flowers and butterflies, lace samples, a small bag of micro beads, canvas butterflies and all of the other goodies that were suggested. You'll see on the 2nd row far right pocket that I attached a map of my location with a few quick facts about the lake I live on. For me, one of the best things about a pen pal is getting to know where they're from and what it's like where they live. 

Each pocket is ATC size which is 2.5" x 3.5" and baseball trading card protector pages are used to house your letter. After it's finished place it in a #10 (legal) size envelope and if your letters are like mine (chunky) you may want to buy a pack of plain manila envelopes to mail it in. I buy all of these supplies at Wal-Mart in the office supply section.

Using a template by Mirkwood Designs, I created this vellum envelope and it's perfect for my sweet gift of Ghirardelli chocolate. Hope she enjoys it!


I've made my 2nd pocket letter already and it was for my teenage pen pal, Tiana. I love the way it turned out and can't wait to share it next week.  

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, wherever you are!
Lisa xx




5 comments:

Lisa Minckler said...

I LOOOOOOVE this so much L1. I was drooling at all the details in each section and she is gonna fall out of her chair when she sees all the goodies you've included. I think it's just sensational. I pinned a few of these and really wanted to explore it, but WOW...look at you run with this...so amazing! I cannot wait to see the next now....
hugs!
L2

Shirley-Anne said...

Well Lisa S , I am so glad I popped in for a look . This is another lovely way that crafty people touch the lives of other crafty people , with love and friendship .
Thanks for sharing Lisa.
hugs Shirley-Anne

Pia S said...

I love the concept of this, it must feel like Christmas receiving this in the mail! Love your creativity with the little pockets and I'm sure the goodies will be much appreciated too.

Unknown said...

I love making pocket letters but I'm looking for a few people to exchange them with. How would I go about doing this?

Adventures in Paperland said...

Hi Jody, I joined Pocket Letter Pals (www.pocketletterpals.com) and you can join various groups to participate in group swaps or message people you'd like to swap with and ask for a private swap. Hope that helps!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...