Thursday, May 30, 2013

Remembering Marilyn

 
 
That is what I titled my mixed media canvas that I created for my BIL's birthday which is today. Happy Birthday Ray!!! He has always been an admirer of Marilyn Monroe so when I saw this amazing canvas HERE on Pinterest a light bulb went off in my head. Bingo! A custom piece of art for my fave bro-in-law. :) I scoured my inspiration piece and added a lot of the same elements while adding a few unique touches of my own. I will confess that my chicken wire is not the "real thing" as hers is but created from a Pop-Tart box and a fabulous new die, Die-namics Chicken Wire, which I acquired from My Favorite Things. It worked like a charm and I'll have more MFT goodies to show you on his birthday card in a minute.
 
I followed the artist's directions and hot glued the embellishments where I wanted them and covered the whole canvas excluding the photo with Gesso. The great thing about this is you can use any color flower or metal embellishment you like. If you have paper flowers that have been in your stash for a while but just don't work for you anymore this is a great way to transform them. Once everything dried I covered the photo with a towel and sprayed Rangers Lettuce and Sunset Orange Ink Sprays and Dylusions Melted Chocolate Ink Spray onto my canvas. After everything dried again I went back with Bundled Sage and Vintage Photo Distress Ink and highlighted some of the embellishments. Another drying cycle was needed and the final step was a coat of Deco Art's Decoupage to seal it.  
 
Here are a few close ups, sorry for the glare.
 
 
I used a lot of Tim's Idea-o-logy goodies on this piece.
 
 
See the mesh in the upper corner? I recycled a shallot bag
to add texture so save those fruit and produce bags. :)

Spare Parts and Tim's Idea-o-logy metal embellies add a masculine
touch. The chipboard clock was in a set of 4 by Dusty Attic.

A metal key, plastic M,
Idea-o-logy crown and
Melissa Francis resin scroll
adorn the left side of
Marilyn's photo.

True Marilyn fans will know what the 26 stands for. She
was born on June 1, 1926 and would have turned 87 in two
days. Cogs/sprockets are from Tim's Idea-o-logy and TPS's
Spare Parts product lines.

I threw the kitchen sink in can you tell lol. Cogs, pen nib,
key chains, memo pins, locks, keys, tags and charms.

I Google'd the photo of Marilyn and ended up using the same
one as the canvas that inspired me. It was a better fit than
the others and shows off her beauty.



 
 Here's the birthday card I made for him and it too was inspired by a CARD which I ran across on Pinterest. Both inspiration pieces can be found on my altered art and cards Pinterest boards plus lots more. Pinterest has been my go-to place for kick starting my mojo lately. :)  I've been running around at Mach 5 with my hair on fire and sometimes you just have to go with the flow and CASE (but always give credit where credit is due). I do hope you'll check out the mixed media canvas and card which inspired me. They are very talented people!
 
 
MFT goodies on this card are:
 
I used a Spellbinders pennant die set to create my flags and a Notebook Plain Jane by Verve which I fussy cut and distressed with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. The chipboard circular piece is by Basic Grey and the metal clock is from Tim's Ideo-o-logy line. The feathers and chevron banner were cut from MME Kraft Funday collection and the rub ons are from Christy Tomlinson's She Art collection.
 
 
Thanks for hanging in there! I'm grateful that you dropped by and I'd love to know what you think of my media media tribute to Marilyn Monroe. I do hope it has inspired you to preserve a memory or create a keepsake for a loved one . :)
 
Have a super day!
Lisa xx


11 comments:

Suman Pandit said...

amazing layout Lisa!!love the accents and spare Parts and metal pieces!!

Words and Pictures said...

Totally astounding canvas, Lisa - it's simply fabulous! What glorious colours and textures... an amazing gift for your brother-in-law - wow!
Alison x

Janny Jager said...

Wauwwwwww this is so beautiful Lisa.
Great details and colors.
Greetings Janny

Sue Lelli said...

Did your BIL just go crazy when he saw this! Just GORGEOUS, Lisa! Love all the bits and pieces and your colors and your process! Plus a wonderful card, too! What a lucky guy!

Pia S said...

The canvas card looks awesome, Lisa! I'm so impressed by the amount of details you've put into this design. I wouldn't even know where to start making such a piece!!!

Cyndy said...

Being in attendance when this gift was opened I can answer Sue's question above--he sure did!!!! Lisa, you continually amaze me with your talent--you "nailed" the colors Ray uses in his special room and we spent a lloonngg time checking out all the details of this masterpiece. It is already on the wall!!! Oh and folks--Lisa's pictures do NOT do this piece justice--her work is spectacular. Well done little sister!!!!! :)

Mona Pendleton said...

Wow Lisa! Your projects are GORGEOUS!! I love all the layers, texture and color palette on both! Great photo of Marilyn too :)

Sandie said...

oh my, your canvas is just so amazing, not only the design, but how you implemented all the elements, and the amazing colours.

Margaret said...

I think I can hear her crooning 'happy birthday' to him right now! This is one stunning piece and I know he will love it! I had such a wonderful time playing I spy with the embellishments on your canvas!! The card is wonderful too. I love the Bingo card and all of the wonderful layers!

Peanut said...

That infamous birthday performance springs to mind! I can't believe you did all that on canvas! IT'S MAGIC!!!! Wow, Lisa...you've got some serious mojo going on, my friend!
xxx Asha
Sunny Summer Crafts

Lisa Minckler said...

Holy WOW!!!! That canvas is gorgeous L1 :D
I've been a complete stranger to you and for that I apologize unreservedly. I can't believe how much I've missed. I know you've had it so rough lately and been crazy and trust me, I think about you all the time and hope you're doing okay.
I've been knocked out of the internet with the horrible weather and the computer and cell phones just haven't connected the same since. However, I have managed to say online ALL day today. No wind or rain today, so cross my fingers I can finish this message and not have it delete itself or poof itself gone!
I have loved seeing ALL of your latest and greatest works and my jaw nearly broke on this desk when I saw this!! I love your work and your inspiration is exactly what I needed today. Thank you so much and biggest of hugs to you.
L2 :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...