Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Disney Mini Album, Part 2

{click to enlarge any photo}

Hello and Welcome!

It's a rainy day here in west Tennessee (again) and it's putting a damper on my crafty projects. Among everything else going on these days I'm planning a Dad-chelor party for my son and DIL in July. It's a baby shower for dads and I think it's a great idea. Wish those were around when we were having our children because my hubby totally missed out. Since my DIL is from South Carolina and my son is from Tennessee they decided to have "Dad" and Mom" baby showers. Her shower will be more traditional while our son is having a large scale game day culminating with a poker game where everyone buys in with a box of diapers. My how times have changed! We'll go from 3pm until so we're planning the usual cake, punch, light finger foods then we'll morph into a full blown Taco Bar with all of the fixings plus 7-Layer Taco Dip. It's going to be a blast and I'll keep you posted on all of my crafty projects for the shower. Let's just say my Silhouette Cameo will be working overtime lol.

As promised I'm back today with pages one and two of my Disney Mini Album that I created for my daughter. She's one of the biggest Disney fans ever so she was absolutely thrilled when I gave it to her this past weekend. Because there are SO many pictures I decided to break up my posts into 4 different segments. Yesterday I shared how I created my front and back covers, the spine and the binding method I used. This would probably have been easier if I was set up already to do a video but somehow that hasn't happened. Maybe I'm trying subconsciously to spare all of you my Tennessee twang. ;) 

Here we go...

This photo shows the inside front cover with the first page on the right. Now the pages are actually a series of two-fold or tri-fold pages with flaps. By adding flaps you create additional spaces for photo mats, journaling, pockets for storing mementos like maps, programs, etc.. It's how you build your pages and it's easy to do. It's rare that I sit down and take the time to sort things out in my head but I did for this album...mainly because this will be the first of several mini's for me this year. I have quite a few to make for my daughter yet, plus I'm making one for my 30th anniversary trip that my hubby and I are taking in June because this month is too busy. Then I'm making a baby book for my DIL as a keepsake to record our grandson's first year. You lose countless hours on Pinterest and You Tube looking stuff up so I decided to create my own templates.   

Here's a closer look at the first page.
There's a large hidden pocket on the left side of the page where you see the photo mat sticking out. 

Then on the right side there's a smaller pocket where you see the paper sticking out. It's actually quite deep and long so it will fit a 4 x 6 photo mat easily. Mickey is a sticker while the hand is part of a SVG file set I purchased here. I layered white cs on top of black cs and used my Silhouette Cameo to cut each one out. 

The Mickey tie belongs to another SVG file I purchased here. I placed a magnet in the tie and also on the paper base to it snaps shut and holds whatever she wants to put under it in place. On the far left side I ran a strip of Disney washi tape with the character's names on it. I spelled out her name with Disney alpha stickers and added them to the tie to personalize her album.

The tie flips open and I added a white piece of cs which I distressed with Black Soot Distress Ink for a journaling spot. The magnet is under that piece of paper and the other magnet is hidden behind the black strip separating my two papers. I'll include a link to a You Tube video by Anna Rostad that gives great info on adding magnets to your projects and where you can order them at the end of my post today. This page is actually the top page and it's wider than the others, the other two serve as a base and side flap. Technically speaking this is the left flap page which folds on top of the others and is the first one you see in each set of pages. There's a back page as well but more on that in a minute.

When you open the previous page you see a large photo mat (left) and two photo mats which fold out. The Mickey head/ears is part of  SVG file and it's glued in place so she can slip a small photo or some memento under it. 


There's a large deep pocket for hiding stuff behind the black dp, another outer pocket that I border punched with EK Success Dotted Wave. The Mickey head (at the top) and on the white pocket are adhesive stickers along with the quote-It all started with a Mouse. The resin heart is an Ice Accent by Queen and Company.

There's a long pocket and I notched it with a 1" circle punch and added White Opal Liquid Pearls around the outline. Throughout this mini I either used a 1" or 1.5" circle punch to make for easier access.

When you flip the previous page over this is the back page. There's another pocket for storing hidden stuff or extra photos. A Mickey hand will also hold a photo or memento. I'm not showing it here but there's also a deep side pocket on the left as well.

You can see the start of the next page series on the right. You can also tell from this photo that the pages lie flat which is important when making your mini album. I went over that in yesterday's post but I'll say it again-you really need to work your hinges when creating your binding because it makes a difference.

Years ago my daughter picked out Disney papers from Hot Off the Press. While I love the images the paper quality is not what I like so when I use it I always have to mat it to a stronger paper. I did that throughout the album including photo mats, etc.. The photo mat dp is from a 6 x 6 paper pack and Mickey is a sticker. I'll include the papers I used at the end of every post starting today.

When you flip the page you see that this one is a tri-fold. On the left I added a side pocket punched again with EK Success Dotted Wave border punch. Another variation of the Mickey hand makes an appearance and it's included in the same SVG file as the other hand. There's a sticker at the bottom and I die cut two film strips which I'll go back and fill in photos then mat them to hold in place. A small polaroid frame is also tucked in there and both are from the Spellbinders Shapeabilities Snapshot Die Templates.

This booklet is magnetized and it open to the right to reveal two photo mats and a pocket to slip in a journal tag. 

It also folds out to the left to reveal two more photo mats.

The Mickey punch (EK Success) hides a magnet that connects with the other magnet which I placed behind the journaling pocket. It keeps the mini photo album in place so it doesn't open on its own. 

When you open the page there's a triple page spread with interactive stuff for her to enjoy.

The bottom pocket folds down and then the top one folds out to reveal two large photo mats on both sides (other side not shown) plus a large photo mat on the base paper.

 This pocket is for tucking in extra photos or mementos. The stickers are 3D which adds some nice dimension and the colors worked perfectly with my assortment of Disney papers.

This is what it looks like when it's folded up. The outer pocket has a punched border and more stickers. The Mickey silhouette is from this SVG file and hasn't been layered. Once I cut it out I liked the look of his silhouette so I left it as is. I may cut another one out in white cs and attach to the back so she can journal on it or let her journal with a white gel pen. It's her choice! :) I punched more Mickey heads in yellow cs using the same EK Success punch. The star stickers were part of the set and I like the pop they add.

This page actually folds in and this is the back side or inside flap if you prefer. I have a pocket with a yellow photo mat and a journal spot on the other side. On the outside of the pocket I added another SVG file cut out of Mickey's pants and it is magnetized so it will stay in place. Another heart Ice Accents by Queen and Co. makes an appearance. "Gosh!" is a sticker and so is "Mousin' Around" plus the Mickey head. A strip of coordinating paper was added to the photo mat tag and polka dot ribbon from my stash finishes it.


 I wanted to show you what it looks like before I add the final white layer which she'll journal on. You place your magnets between layers of paper, the magnets will find themselves so use Anna's tip (video link below) and it will help ensure they are always in the right place.

In the upper corner I added another flip style photo book.

It also has a magnet closure to keep it closed. 


Almost there, one more page...
You can see the back page on the left and you're getting a sneak peek at the next page series. The colors changed because this section will record photos of Disney's Tomorrowland in the Magic Kingdom and it's a colorful place. 

This page features Lori Whitlock's 3D Layered Mini Album Tabs cutting file from the Silhouette Design Store. BTW, if you hurry everything is 50% off  in the online store but today only. There are four tabs in the cutting file but I only used 3 due to space restrictions. I layered Disney papers on yellow cardstock (front and back) for large photo mats or to possibly do a collage. 

This is a cardstock Mickey head from Hot Off the Press and he has a magnet which matches up with one on the bottom page. It keeps the album closed and even though we've graduated to Tomorrowland Mickey is present everywhere. :)

I love Toy Story!!! I can't tell you how many times I watched it with my son when he was little. I watched it again with my daughter as she loved the movie as well and she has several of the characters as well. With my grandson about to make his appearance in September it has me thinking about all of the toys I saved from my kids childhood. I have my son's Buzz Lightyear, his spaceship, Woody, and Woody's hat which he used to wear all the time lol. I can still see him running around the house like a banshee. :)

Here are two You Tube videos on using magnets. 

(this one goes into details like binding, covers, flaps and magnets) 

  

Disney papers used:
Mickey and Friends 8 x 8 - HOTP
Finished in a Flash 12 x 12 - HOTP
Busy Scrapper's Solution Disney Papers 12 x 12 - HOTP
Disney 12 x 12 Page Kit - EK Success
Mickey Poses 12 x 12 sheet - Creative Keepsakes

I'm adding the final touches to my free template PDF for building pages and flaps. It will be available tomorrow (not sure what time) and then I'll share pages 3 and 4 on Thursday and finish with pages 5 and 6 on Friday. 

Thanks for looking today and for hanging in there!
Lisa xx





3 comments:

Caroline D. said...

You've created a beautiful and fun album with a lot of love put into it!

Migdalia said...

I LOVE this Lisa!
Super DUPER cute! TFS
Have a wonderful day,
Migdalia
Crafting With Creative M

Words and Pictures said...

Oh my word... I've been to take a look at the making-of post as well, and I have to say this is a brilliant mini album, Lisa. What attention to detail, what brilliant interactive pockets and flaps and peeking Mickey Mouse ears, and above all what fun! Fabulous!
Alison x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...