Saturday, April 19, 2014

You Might Want to Put Your Shades On...

Nothing Says Home Like Lovin' From My Oven


{mixed media art journal page}

Well don't say I didn't warn ya lol. 

**Use A Die Cut or Punch**

Hello and welcome back, if you are a newcomer please do not be put off by the brightness of my art journal page. Not all of my projects are this intense. ;)  We are kicking off a new challenge at The Squirrel and The Fox and our sponsor is the talented Kenny K of Kenny K Designs. I'm using a fun digi that he provided the DT to create with and its called Super Mom. She immediately reminded me of a vintage poster I'd seen- Rosie the Riveter. Don't know who Rosie is??? Take a peek below...


This poster was created during the WWII era when women were called upon to work in the factories because so many men were serving in the US military stateside and abroad. I love vintage images and this one has always captured my attention. Maybe it's the bold colors that initially drew me to it but it's the look on her face that made me agree, We Can Do It! Women can do anything they choose to do and whether you are a corporate executive or a super mom who loves to serve up some lovin' from the oven we all have something to contribute. Well, now that you know the inspiration for my art journal page here are a few deets on how I created it.



She's colored with Faber-Castell colored pencils and after fussy cutting her I inked the edges with Black Soot Distress Ink. Her rouge {blush} was created using a salmon watercolor crayon by Caran d'Ache. All you have to do is spritz some water on the end of the crayon, dab your brush in it and lightly apply to the area you wish to cover. I love these crayons! 

To create my background {like Rosie's} I used a yellow Faber-Castell Gelato and brushed on the color after mixing it with water. If you own a silicone craft mat then it's as simple as scribbling the gelato on the mat, spritz with water, mix and brush. Easy peasy! The colors are gorgeous and yes, some of them are intense such as this yellow. ;) I was aiming to use the same color scheme-yellow, blue, red and black primarily. Since our challenge at The Squirrel and The Fox is to use either a die cut or punch I opted to use a die I've had in my stash for a while-Spellbinders Address Book. I covered the tabs at the bottom with my cookie sheet sticker and used other various stickers on my page to carry out my theme. The title was created using a Dymo Label Maker and I'm not too happy with it right now. :( Some of the letters are not printing with a deep impression so it made it hard to read which is why I added the caption. Going to have to work on that....grrrrr

As for the border I used a fun stamp from the Dylusions Further Around the Edge set to create my border. I stamped it in Staz On Jet Black and colored in the open spaces with a red Faber-Castell Pitt Pen. A little doodling around the labels and it was finished. 


SPONSOR



Prize is 5 digi stamps!!!



I do hope you'll play along with our Use a Die Cut or Punch challenge at The Squirrel and The Fox. Good luck to those participating and congratulations to our Winner and Top 3 of Challenge 67. I totally went blank the last challenge and forgot to welcome the new DT members to our wonderful challenge blog, so sorry ladies. Without further ado here they are... 


Be sure to visit the rest of the team to see the other Kenny K digi's he supplied the DT with. There are some cute ideas for guy cards amongst them and Father's Day will be here before we know it. ;)

That's all for me today, for those celebrating the Easter holiday I wish each of you a very Happy and Blessed Easter. Also, I highly recommend the movie Heaven Is For Real which is in theaters now. 

Hugs, 
Lisa




8 comments:

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Wow. You have really rock'n roll-pinned this page, girl! I love those yellows, I'm very much into yellow these days so it is right up my street. And those rosy cheeks look lovely! Happy Easter, Lisa! xxx

Sarah said...

She is fabulous Lisa and I, for one, LOVE primary colours!! Great job!! xx

Mona Pendleton said...

Wonderful card Lisa! Love the bright and bold color palette! Happy Easter to you and your family!

Peanut said...

Fantabulous! LOVE the retro look and the the colours are simply stunning, Lisa! What an amazing project. Have a lovely Easter week ... and go crazy with those chocs!
hugs, Asha

Anonymous said...

Now that is what I call FUN FUN FUN!!! great work and LOVE the brightness a real cheer up! hugs me x

Desire Fourie said...

Lisa this is just so vibrant and fun. Adore the retro feel and how you did the wording.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Sue Lelli said...

What a Great journal page, Lisa! Love that powerful woman baking cookies!

Margaret said...

Love the shift to the bright and bold on this one! Perfect for a Super Hero!!
So sorry the label maker isn't cooperating...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...