Saturday, June 21, 2014

DLP, ICAD and Deli Flowers


Hi everyone! Hope you are enjoying a fun weekend wherever you are! 

Before I start my post today I want to take a minute to thank everyone for the birthday wishes I've received this month, it has totally taken me aback. You guys are so sweet! I can't wait to mail my prize packages out to the lucky random.org winners on July 1st. :) 
{If you haven't entered my giveaway yet click the link in my sticky post to find out how

Wondering what the black thing on top of the box is ? An altered moleskine planner. I recently joined a group on Facebook called the Documented Life Project. It's five women who are artsy friends in real life and they share their creativity and talent at Art to the 5th. Last year they decided to use a 12 month moleskine planner as one part planner, one part art journal and one part weekly challenge. On Jan. 1st they began issuing their weekly challenges and the group has grown considerably since then. I didn't discover it until May and with the year nearly half over it seemed overwhelming to play catch up. Then serendipity struck (I love serendipity, don't you?) when I came across a 2014-2015 eighteen month planner that starts in July. Bingo! I decided right then to start DLP on July 1st and continue throughout the year. I hope they continue it next year but if they don't I have a plan. I'll do the first 6 months of this year for 2015 instead and create my own challenges for the last 6 months. :)

I began altering my new baby with washi tape and adding the "tip-in" which  creates a triple page spread. To create my tip-in (added third page) I rummaged through my stash and found two art journals with unused pages. Yahoo! I did the unthinkable and ripped the remaining pages out to use in my planner/journal. I trimmed each one to 5"x8.25" and chopped the corners off with my We R Memory Keepers corner chopper (the 1/4" setting) to match my planner. Then I gathered every roll of washi tape I own and started adhering my pages to my planner. Since the paper was for art journal use anyway it's perfect.  

It's already chunky and I haven't even begun! :)


Okay, that explains DLP but what is ICAD? It's a challenge issued by Daisy Yellow Art to use one Index Card a Day (3x5 or 4x6) during June and July for a total of 61 cards. I do realize that June is nearly over but I just found this challenge and the great thing is this---she tells you to start where you are. You are not required to go back and do the other weeks just start today and keep going. This challenge is all about doing something creative every day even if it's something small. I plan to incorporate my index cards into my planner and can't wait to see how they show up. 

~here's the link to the Daisy Yellow Index Card a Day Facebook Group~

and my cards (with the prompt underneath) for June 15-21

stickers
{these were in my stash for 12+ years lol, no kidding}

roll the dice
{I found my dice in a magazine I was about to throw away}

polka dots
{I had fun doodling on this page}

orange
{Dylusions stamps are fun}

Harry Potter
{I'm not a fan of HP so I went another direction (nope u r not required to use the prompts) and used the cover of my Wicked program to create this card. A Tim Holtz border stamp adds a little pizzazz}

candy wrapper
{I am currently trying NOT to eat candy so I used a wrapper from my fave gum instead, there's some fun word play on this one ;) }

repeating pattern
{I like checkered anything, this is a background stamp by MPD for My Favorite Things and a Dina Wakley collaged heart}



There are themes offered as well, optional again, which I did not incorporate this week but might next week. 
We'll see!


Last but not least is Deli Flowers which started with Sandi Keene, a member of Art to the 5th. You can see her tutorial HERE and I'll share that I found my box of deli paper in my local wholesale restaurant supply company. I nabbed a box of 500 10x10 sheets for $7.00. Needless to say I'll never need to buy these again. Does anyone need deli sheets lol? If you live in the US and would like to try this just email your address and I'll send some sheets your way. The idea is to doodle flowers, color and cut them out to use in your journaling/project. I did a little something different and inked up some of my favorite flower stamps by Verve Stamps and went that route instead. ;)


Okay, gotta get ready for dinner out with the hubby and my girl. Thanks for stopping by today and enjoy the rest of your weekend. 
Hugs,
Lisa    


13 comments:

Words and Pictures said...

There's nothing like having a plan! What a fabulous altered book - the washi looks amazing on the edges, and all those ICADs look great... Looking forward to seeing where the journey takes you!
Alison xx
(Giveaway at mine too, now!)

rachel said...

this looks amazing - so much done already too - well done you xx

catherine said...

Wow you have been busy Lisa and your pieces are looking fabulous. I am also doing the Documented Life project and at the moment trying to play catch up!!!
Thanks for the link to the ICAD - sounds really interesting too
x catherine

Meihsia Liu said...

Wow... Lisa, these creations all look awesome! :)

Cody Doll said...

YAY im excited. I can't wait to see what you make. I am doing the ICAD and using it to catch up with DLP.

Julia Aston said...

How cool Lisa! (and a very ambitious project!!) It sounds very exciting and creative and your pages so far are delightful!

Lisa Minckler said...

Do you have trails of flames that follow you? Just curious because holy crap..you really hit the ground running with your creative endeavors!! L1 this broke my jaw and several teeth. I can't get over what and where you find your inspiration and what you do with it. I'm virtually applauding you...this is FABULOUS my friend. :)
hugs,
L2

Sue Lelli said...

I agree with Lisa M.! Trails of flames! Such a FAB project and so inspiring! LOVE the washi on the edges and the index cards! THX for the inspiration my friend!

1CardCreator said...

Tour journal is off to a great start! Love the washi taped edges, very creative! Love the cards too, especially the witch, lol. My friend Lindsay (The frugal Crafters blog has some things to do with your abundance of deli paper too. ~Diane

Shirley said...

OMGosh, Lisa, what fun and you are so creative! I enjoyed how you did every page. TFS your thoughts about your creations too!

Unknown said...

I love the index card thing. So many ideas, so little time. Working f/t really puts a damper on my creative time I get to have. Question. Is deli paper the same as parchment paper? I've never seen or heard of deli paper before. You are super talented! I'm enjoying looking thru your blog. :)

Margaret said...

Just throw a 'ditto' behind L2's comments! Your index cards are awesome and I LOVE the wicked one!! Deli paper-who'd have thought... Can't wait to see what you make with this!

Unknown said...

Hi Diane,
No deli paper is different from parchment paper. It's the type of paper they use to wrap deli sandwiches and has a wax coating on one side. I found mine at a restaurant supply store. You might inquire at your local deli if they would sell/give you some sheets. My box holds 500 sheets and I'll never use it all. If you live in the US just email me and I'll send you some. Hope that helps. :)
Lisa x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...