Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Are You a Material Girl?

Altered Bottle


**Material Girl**

There's a new challenge at Top Tip Tuesday and yes I am a day late posting my project. I'll explain a bit later but first if you love to work with jute, felt, cotton or material then simply add it to your project and you're good to go. If that's not your thing you can always interpret this challenge using Madonna's hit song-Material Girl-to inspire your project. Either way we are looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Now for my explanation, I was all set to finish my altered bottle when I heard my husband screaming my name early Saturday morning. He was attacked by a swarm of yellow jackets and they stung him at least 40 times. After hosing him down with the water hose and giving him two Benadryl we set off for the ER. It was a long day but thankfully he never went into shock and was released to come home. However the misery from the stings lingered for several days. Yellow jackets are nasty little buggers and I am busy setting out traps for these monsters. :( We had another mishap late Sunday night with a defective electrical outlet and a near fire which did nothing to help my hubby's disposition. So there you go, that's why I am late but hopefully things have calmed down for a while. I'm happy to say that he is feeling much better and he's out of the woods. Samantha is so good to always understand when life issues come up and she even gave me a great idea for trapping these menaces. :)


I used cardstock stickers from Graphic 45's Bird Song collection for my focal image.

Another cardstock sticker from Bird Song.

I added rub ons by Kaisercraft to each side and below the focal images.

The opposite side.

The top and bottom borders are also from G45's Bird Song while the rhinestone trim was purchased at JoAnn's. To prepare my bottle I gave it a coat of Gesso, let it dry and added a coat of Apple Barrel-Antique White acrylic paint. I picked up a tip from Gabrielle Pollacco and used it to add the random spots on my bottle. I further aged it with a black Faber-Castell Pitt Pen and Rub 'n Buff's Autumn Gold then added a coat of Plaid's Mod Podge to seal everything. 

For my material element I added a strip of burgundy burlap and jute string by Tim Holtz. You can also see black crochet trim that was added below and more rhinestone trim. The topper is a leftover knob from an up cycled dresser project I did last summer. I'm so happy to find a use for it!


I'm going to enter this altered bottle in ePlay's Altered Bottle challenge

Edited: I am tickled pink to receive a Special Mention for my entry, click here to see.






A small independently run Fine Arts and Crafts shop in Penrith Cumbria UK

Our very own Samantha who works there is providing a prize
and as she is trying to build their Facebook she will also select a Facebook winner to
so please pop over give them a like and leave a comment to say you have entered the challenge
On the Top Tip Tuesday Post.
SO that is 2 winners for this challenge!!


That's all for me today. I'll have last weeks DLP planner pages on my blog Friday. Once the events played out on Saturday I totally forgot to post them. 
Don't forget to check out my teamies "material girl" creations. 

Have a great day!
Lisa xx



17 comments:

Shirley said...

First, I am so glad your husband did so well after such a close call!! and I am glad your house didn't go up in flames!! As for your gorgeous work of art!! Don't let anyone touch it. It is lovely!!!~

Shirley said...

Congrats on your new DT. You are a treasure! Great hat. This can be worn for several different fun events and you would be the life of the part!! Love every cute detail right down to the ruffled brim.

Sue Lelli said...

WOW, Lisa! AMAZING, GORGEOUS bottle! THX for playing in the ePlay altered bottle challenge! And I'm cringing with the wasp and fir stories! YIKES!

Mona Pendleton said...

Congrats on you new DT position Lisa! So well deserved! Your altered bottle looks fantastic! Lovie all the bling!

Sarah said...

What a brilliant project Lisa, love the aged oriental look. Hope your Husband is feeling better after his dreadful experience xx

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Your altered bottle is beautiful, Lisa! I love the oriental theme!
And what a kerfuffle over the weekend! glad your DH is ok and I hope things will calm down for you soon :) xxx

Pia S said...

You really succeeded in giving this bottle an aged look, and I love the oriental style. I think it looks fabulous!
Glad your hubby is feeling better, that must have hurt!

Julia Aston said...

Goodness, what a day you had! So glad DH is ok and that your house didn't burn down.... LOVE this bottle - the white paint looks wonderful as well as the image - the Green Key strips and red gems - and the fibers look marvelous around the neck! thank you so much for joining us at the ePlay challenge Lisa!

Mitralee said...

Nut ball bees! I think it's kinda been one of those times lately with random weirdness! Glad to hear it's passing...that bottle is over the top stunning! VERY IMPRESSIVE! All pinned up! Hugs and hope things get better soon!

Mitralee said...

ps. do you have a follow me by email botton? I am quite the slacker when it doesn't come straight into my email...

Lisa Minckler said...

What did Samantha suggest? That soda bottle thingy that traps them? Just curious. One of those things that are good to know just encase.
Glad the hubster is doing better. I know it's not funny about the electrical thing, but I had to giggle..."Really?" That had to happen too?? LOL. So glad all is well and your bottle is INCREDIBLE!!!!

Regina said...

what a stunning bottle! this is so creative!
Regina

Words and Pictures said...

Eek - the yellowjackets attack sounds awful (I got very nervous just now removing a single giant hornet from the house)... so relieved there's no lasting damage.

Now to happier things - what a stunning altered bottle - just beautiful!
Alison xx

toni said...

Oh dear sounds like you and your husband have had a couple of nasty incidents! Hope all is good now,! Your altered bottle is gorgeous! Love the surface finish you have achieved, the G45 images are lovely and that fabulous stopper you've created finishes it off perfectly! Thank you for joining in the ePlay challenge . Good luck ! Toni x

Micki said...

Wow Lisa, I absolutely love how your bottle turned out. Especially the paint technique. Gorgeous!!!! So glad you joined the eTeam in our ePlay challenge!!!! xoxoxo

Jackie PN said...

Lisa, this is beyond gorgeous!! What a fabulous altered bottle! And you have my vote! xo

Suman Pandit said...

Hi Lisa, loved the beautiful altered bottle, that topper sure is gorgeous !!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...